Sunday, May 8, 2011

My running ups and downs...

Only a few weeks after running the Shamrock Shuffle in 55 minutes (it was an 8K race in downtown Chicago) I was able to complete another 8K race (this time in Washington, DC) in 50 minutes.  I noticed that my runs were getting slightly faster even though I didn't necessarily set out to make faster times.

I chalked it up to improving fitness and to the fact that I'm getting better at running.  I ran with a friend from the office after work during a business trip to Springfield, Illinois and we ran approximately 6.8 miles at just under 11 minute miles (my usual M.O. has been to run the longer distances at about 12 min/mile).  At home I ran 8 miles at a pace of 11 min 30 sec (again, slower then my 8K times but faster than my usual for longer distances).

Since then I've been having aches and pains in my right ankle and the area just above my right ankle.  That plus all the rain and cold have kept me off the road and on a treadmill.  While the lessened impact from running on the treadmill is good, I can't seem to get myself to run longer distance on the treadmill.  I get bored very quickly.

Today I went out and ran 9 miles.  It was run at a slow 12min/mile pace.  It was a hard 9 miles.  Right from the start my knees and my ankle felt achy/sore.  Those pains receded into the background as I finished a few miles but then my legs just started getting heavy and I really struggled through the last 3 miles.

I was surprised that I started feeling so stiff at mile 6 since I've covered 8 miles a few times this year and on neither of those occasions did I feel as tired even in the last stretch as I did today in a much earlier point in my run.  I was disappointed with the way I ran.

Thankfully I went out with a small bottle of water.  That turned out to be a lifesaver because today it was sunny and about 70 degrees out.  Without the water I would have been hurting even more.

I've got a 1/2 marathon on 5/15.  I'm 4 miles short and I frankly don't know how I'm going to be able to finish the race if I feel as bad then as I did today!

I need to hydrate better and I need to ditch the iPod.  I ran with the iPod again today and I'm fairly certain that it contributed to my lack of focus on today's run.

I need to get some good running in on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday and then give my legs plenty of rest on Friday and Saturday in the coming week.  I'm going to take it easy tomorrow (Monday) as far as running is concern (if Saturday's weight training doesn't catch up with me tomorrow I'll probably lift again).

One positive is that, as of the end of April, I am 8 or so miles ahead of schedule towards my goal of hitting 600 miles run this year.  I may have the ability to hit 650 miles this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment