Saturday, July 30, 2011

Back to Back weeks of 13 miles - Not Good

Last Saturday (7/23) was the Hoffman Estates/Alexian Brothers Hopsital Half Marathon.  As planned, I ran in this race.  Yesterday (7/29) I ran another 13 miles.

My takeaway lesson from running 13 mile runs back to back (week-wise)?  I'm not up for it.

It was tough.  When I got home from the run I thought I was going to pass out.  It took me a few hours to finally regain some energy and feel good.

Until I build up some more stamina, I need to avoid running such a long distance in back to back long runs.  I should have capped it at about 9 miles.  I know I would have been fine at that distance because I felt okay up until that point when running yesterday.

Another lesson I've learned is to take it easy in terms of working out (even non-running workouts) the day before a double-digit run.  I got a good night's sleep the night before the run.  My diet was appropriate too.  I did, however, have a very good strength-training workout the night before and that may have tired me out some.

I'm resting today and then tomorrow I'll try to run about 6 miles on an indoor track.  I'll be fasting come Monday (8/1) and at that juncture my workouts are going to be both shorter and probably a bit less strenuous as well.  During Ramadan I will not be running any double digit runs.

No comments:

Post a Comment