Saturday, October 6, 2012

I fell off the wagon...

Eating 2 sirloin burgers w/ cheddar cheese &
turkey bacon...  that there is about 1pound of beef!
Oh crap!  I'm slipping.  I let my guard down, I let one cheat become two cheats and now I'm weeks and weeks off my healthy regimen.

I know why I was so unhealthy for so long.  It's too damned easy.  And on the flip side, it is so damned hard to stay on track.

Thank God I caught myself.

There are a couple of reasons why this happened.

Reason # 1: I tried to do too much & couldn't

This year I wanted to add strength training to my running regimen.  I have the physical ability run and lift and spend a couple of hours working out everyday.  I will not do it though.  I have other priorities.

This isn't the same excuse as "I can't exercise because I don't have the time".  I know I have to make time to get in at least 30 minutes of exercise 4 to 5 times per week (minimum).  This is about whether or not I want to give up on other things like sleep, spending some time with my kids and doing my writing.

I was able to keep it up over the summer because the kids weren't in school.  Now that they are back in school the premium workout hours - from when I get home to when the kids go to bed - have to be shared with workouts, family meals and homework.  That's the difference.  The workouts have to be pushed to later in the evening, and by then I'm running low on energy.

Yes, I know it can still be done.  I've done it.  But there are consequences.  An awesome running and lifting workout will have me jacked up and wired for a few hours afterwards.  If I hit the workout around 9pm the I will not actually fall asleep until midnight and that doesn't work for my early morning schedule.

Reason #2: An "All or Nothing" Mentality

Because I've got it in my head that I want to do these amazing combo-workouts of lifting and running, I'm allowing myself to talk myself out of doing something - even if it's less than the full workout - when  there isn't time for the full one.

It's all in my head.  I know this.  I just need to remember it when its time to get the workout down, as little or as much as it may be.

Reason #3: I can't do moderation

I can eat like a spartan six days a week for months and even years at a time (I've done it).  I can pig out on carbs daily.  This is a flaw.  One day I should get around to fixing it.

In the meantime, I need to accept it and embrace it.  It's time to get back on the extreme healthy eating wagon.

Reason #4: I lost my virtual training community

As of late I haven't been working out for any particular races and I haven't been talking about what I want to do and what I am doing on Facebook and on Twitter.  Some people think its all about the ego.  That's definitely a small piece of it, but the biggest part of it is the sense of community I feel when others chime in with what they're doing and who keep an eye out for what I am or am not doing.  I need to get back to that now.



No comments:

Post a Comment