Sunday, August 29, 2010

No more cobwebs on my home gym


So that's what my home gym looks like underneath the cobwebs and the dust.  Not a bad looking set up if I do say so myself.

After nearly 8 full months of working out regularly in the gym, I think I'm at that level where I no longer need the external motivation provided by a gym to keep up on my workouts.  It's time to get reacquainted with the fitness equipment I've accumulated over the years.  

There is the 300 + olympic barbell set with the squat rack and the adjustable bench.  I bought that back in 1999 or so when we bought our first house.  Those were the days when lifting heavy was still the preferred workout.  The set's held up very well over the past 11 years.  

Oh, and hello dumbbells!  It's good to see them all - from the 10 pound dumbbells up to the 50 pounders.  Hey there Hoist "all-in-one" machine weight system!   What’s up?  This "V4" system is a newer addition to the Afeef fitness collection but it too shares the noteworthy, if not flattering, distinction of rare usage.  

The old gym couldn’t be revived without a few tweaks and upgrades, right?  Of course not.  So, in recognition of all the running I’ve been doing, the Afeef fitness collection just added the new True PS 100 treadmill to round out the equipment!  These first rate pieces of equipment, plus the stationary bike, the heavy punching bag, the jump rope and the sit-up bench all make for an excellent home gym.

I’ve already started working out a the home gym this weekend when the treadmill arrived.  On Friday I ran 3 miles and did strength training for my chest, shoulders and triceps.  On Saturday I ran 4 miles and worked on legs and back.  Today I ran 2 miles and did 20 minutes on the stationary bike.

All of these workouts were at home.  That’s good news for me and for my family since working out at home means I'm not away from the family for any extended period of time.  Even though XSport Fitness, the gym I use, is only a few miles away from my house, the time it takes to drive over, park and then drive home adds up.  Plus, when I'm at the gym the kids don't really understand what it means when by "Daddy's working out".  Over the last 3 days the kids played in the basement while I worked out.  That was good for everybody - I got to work out a bit longer, the kids got to play without as much concern over making a mess (its an un-finished basement and I’m not such a neat freak like the boss upstairs) and the spouse gets to take a nap without kids bothering her.

I know that I’ll be motivated to get downstairs to workout regularly between now and about the end of January 2011.  That’s because college and pro football is gearing up and I love working out while I watch games!

Welcome to Afeef Fitness Den!

No comments:

Post a Comment