Monday, October 10, 2011

Lack of a goal = Lack of focus

In August I ran 80 miles while fasting to raise money for orphans in India.  In September I ran a half marathon for Team Red White and Blue.  These goals kept me focused.

Since the 9/11 Chicago Half Marathon my workouts have been decent but my diet is disgusting.  I'm eating pizza, burgers, fries, candy, white bread and cookies.  The reason is simple - I don't have any really big challenges on the horizon.

Today is the start of a new set of challenges.  On November 5 I'm going to run in the Hot Chocolate 15K in Chicago.  Later this week I'm going to set a date to have my body-fat percentage measured (as part of my competition with my colleague at work) and to hold the bench-press completion (against the same work colleague).  The bench-press competition will be based on body-weight plus 10 percent for the weight to be used.  My goal is to be at 190 pounds and then use 220 as the amount of weight to be lifted.  I'd like to get 20 repetitions with that weight.

These goals keep me very focused and on plan.

I've made this same mistake of not having any short term goals and I experienced the same decline in my healthy lifestyle at that time as well.  I should know better by now.

Race or no race, I've must set goals in order to remain successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment