Wednesday, February 17, 2010

I wanna run but it hurts!

I've been running (I call it running and will continue to do so but keep in mind that I use the term very loosely) on the treadmill now with some consistency for the past 3 or 4 weeks and I feel good. In fact, the running makes me feel so good that I want to run more. I want to run longer and harder and more often.

The problem is (damn it - there's always a problem when it comes to getting healthy for me) my legs are not keeping up with the heart and lungs. For example, this afternoon I ran for 40 minutes at a steady pace of about 4.5 mph. By the time I got to 40 minutes my knees and my right ankle were hurting just a tiny bit; I could feel the slightest bit of pain (more like a tickle) and I knew I had to stop. The thing is, I wasn't gasping for air. My heart rate was at 150 but I felt strong in that sense.

I'm so nervous about doing anything to screw up my legs and feet that I'm taking it slow right now. My primary goal is to get my weight down and the running and other exercise is helping me feel better which, in turn, is helping my diet (I am more motivated to eat a bit better knowing that I've exercised). I hope that, as I get my weight down, my body will hold up better to the running.

No comments:

Post a Comment