Thursday, March 25, 2010

I'm really enjoying the treadmill runs more than the weight lifting... Who knew?

When I get into the gym these days what motivates me most is the opportunity to jump on the treadmill and run. Who knew that running would feel better to me than lifting weights? It's never been the case before.

The day before yesterday (Tuesday) I ran for 35 minutes on a 0.5 incline. I started out at 4.8 mph, then after about 5 minutes I went to 4.9 mph, and after another 5 minutes to 5.0 mph and then topped out at 5.2 mph before doing the last few minutes at slightly slower paces. It felt great!

Yesterday I did something similar but without the incline. In yesterday's run I started out at 4.9 mph and moved up 0.1 mph every 5 minutes. And again - it felt great! After yesterday's treadmill run I performed leg extensions, leg curls, squats and calf raises. And I did it all in just over 60 minutes (the run was about 30 minutes).

I love the little "buzz" that I feel when I'm done running. And the feeling I get later in the evening - that physical tiredness that helps me fall right asleep.

Lest I be misunderstood - I still love lifting weights! It's just that running (at least on the treadmill) is not a chore. One thing I'm now challenged by is not over-exerting myself. Even though I feel good and am enjoying the treadmill running, I am trying hard not to push myself too hard. This would most likely come from running to many days in the week or running faster or for more time all of a sudden.

Ultimately I need to be able to run outside. I want to be able to do 3 or 4 mile runs outside as a regular workout. Right now that's not possible. While I can run 3 miles on the treadmill, I know that it will be way harder on the street. Hopefully the treadmill running, the consistent leg exercises (squats, leg extenions/curls and calf raises) and some significant weight loss will have a positive cumulative effect on my outdoor running (which I hope to be able to do by the beginning of the summer).

No comments:

Post a Comment