Saturday, April 10, 2010

Running 3 miles outside!

This is an excellent and noteworthy milestone for me! For the second time in the past couple of weeks I've been able to run 3 miles on the road. Sure, I've been hitting the 3 mile mark for over a month now on the treadmill, but covering this distance on the pavement is a much harder task.

It was slow. It took me 41 minutes. But I'll take it. Being able to run the 3 miles non-stop (no walking) is a psychological milestone. Now that I know I can run a 5K (I know the races are slightly longer - by 0.1 miles), I can focus my energies on improving my time and also my distance (for perhaps a 10K or even a 1/2 marathon later this year!).

I'm going to need to take care of my legs and my core - especially my core.

I've been stretching and doing some high rep weight training for my legs. My weight training includes squats on the smith machine and leg extensions and leg curls.

The core has been totally ignored until this week. Today is only the second day I've actually done any sit ups let alone anything more sophisticated for my core. I'm going to start doing sit ups and a few other core exercises every day either in the morning or evening and then find a few days to work it into my workouts as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment