Saturday, November 5, 2011

Team RWB runs the Ghirardelli Hot Chocolate 5/15K in Chicago



I ran my last race of 2011 on Saturday, November 5, 2011 in downtown Chicago.  It was a 15K (9.3 miler) in the Ghirardelli's Hot Chocolate 5/15K Sweetest Race.  I organized a team to run in this event on behalf of Team Red White and Blue (the same charity we ran for at the 9/11/11 Chicago Half Marathon).

Team RWB runners waiting for the thirty thousand or so
5K runners to start before the 15K runners begin!

A bunch of folks from the half marathon in September ran with me again for this race.  My wife joined us in the 5K portion while sporting the Team RWB colors as well.  A few other friends participated in their individual capacities (we'll get them to run with Team RWB soon!), and a runner introduced herself to me during the 15K race as a person from our Team RWB Facebook page!  How cool is that?!

The morning started out very cold but by race time it was absolutely perfect running weather!  I felt great during the race.  Even though I spent some time slowing down to take pictures and some video, I was nonetheless able to post a very decent 1 hour 40 minute time (which translates to a 10:45 minute/mile).  This race and the time I posted is just what I need to get me focused on training for next year's half marathons.  If I can run 9.3 miles at a sub 11 min/mile, then I can, with the right training, run a half marathon at an 11 min/mile pace in June 2012.

A few of our Team RWB runners at the start of the 15K
Despite all the hype about the free hot chocolate, chocolate fondue and chocolate candies at the post-race party, I am happy to report that I did not partake of any of it.  Frankly, I just didn't have a taste for hot chocolate after a 9.3 mile run!  A few of us who live in the 'burbs went out for brunch instead.  In lieu of chocolate fondue I had a big steak omelette with some wheat toast!

It was a great race to wrap up the year.  I've already been tempted to sign up for a thanksgiving half marathon (the same one that kicked off my long races last year), but I'm going to hold off.  I'm going to focus on running a few races but with better planning and training in 2012.


No comments:

Post a Comment