Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Oh how time flies by - 11/27 half marathon is approaching fast!

This Saturday’s long run will be 11 miles.  That’s good since the November half marathon will be only one month away come this Saturday.  Given how fast the last 5 weeks have flown by I can only imagine how fast the last month of training will slip away as well.

This past weekend’s 8 mile step down run was not so good.  I was out of town, had only about 5 hours of sleep and a very hectic schedule that kept me from focusing on the run itself.  While I covered the necessary miles, I didn’t enjoy it the way I have the other long runs.  The silver lining is that I didn’t let any of these extenuating circumstances stop me from doing the scheduled long run.

Last night I ran 3 miles instead of 4.  Why?  I wanted to do some strength training.  The training schedule I created back in September called for a combination of running and strength training, but to date (since 9/13 when I officially kicked of the half marathon training) I’ve missed a lot of the scheduled strength training sessions.  I used yesterday to get myself re-charged and back on track.

As an added bonus I went to the gym to do my workout.  I needed the extra boost that working out with others provides.  Thankfully I didn’t run into anyone I know last night so my workout was focused and uninterrupted.

This evening I ran 5 miles.  I did it at night after the kids were put to bed.  It was a beautiful, clear and cool night and I decided to go on the run ipod-free.  Sometimes its nice to run in the quiet of the night.  It’s peaceful.  Oh yeah, and it’s safer too.

Tomorrow will be another strength training day.  I’m going to go late in the evening again after the kids are in bed.  Then on Thursday I’ll go out for a short run.  Friday I’ll do some more strength training and on Saturday morning I’ll hit the trails for the longest run to date!

No comments:

Post a Comment