Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Running for a reason - helping wounded veterans reintegrate

I've dedicated my Nov '10 1/2 Marathon to raising money for Team RWB!
Thanks Mir for giving me this opportunity!

On November 27, 2010 I will run a half marathon with Team RWB (that's red white and blue) to raise money for wounded veterans.

Linking my running to charitable work is working out great for me!  Since February 2010 I've run in a number of 5K and 10K runs, my own run-a-thon (Running for Relief) to help needy children, to fight racism and to raise money for the suffering children of Pakistan.  My efforts have been extremely selfish as I've used the causes as a means to motivate myself to run, and the running in turn has dramatically improved my health!

My next running goal is a half marathon.  It's going to be a physically and mentally challenging feat!  I ran 7.5 miles two weeks ago as part of my training and while I finished the run without too much trouble and without too many post-run problems, that's still a far cry from 13.1 miles (which is the distance in a half marathon).  My training plan calls for a 9 mile run this Saturday (gulp!).

Initially I was just going to run the half marathon for myself, but my friend Mir Ali reminded me about Team RWB when he emailed me about a marathon he was running on 10/3/10 for Team RWB.  I visited the Team RWB website to make a small contribution to his effort and while there I browsed the site.  I learned that there was an opportunity for me to help the cause by becoming a Team RWB athlete myself (yes, yes, I know - I'm using the term "athlete" very loosely).

Here is a a little bit of information about Mir.
He's an excellent role model for all Americans and he's
certainly  someone I'd like my kids to know.

Over the Memorial Day weekend this year I ran a 5K for veterans - Miles for the Military - in South Barrington so  this cause is something I've helped out with in the past (albeit in a very very very small way).  This cause is important to me.  I want to be able to show my support to the men and women who risk their lives in defense of our country.

The South Barrington Park District's
"Miles for the Military" 5K raised money for
The Heart of a Marine Foundation


Helping wounded veterans is a no-brainer.  Whether or not I agree with the reasons for and objectives of the wars our soldiers fight in, I feel that the risks soldiers take and the sacrifices soldiers make in service of our country require our support.  And lets be frank - our government is sorely lacking when it comes to helping our soldiers after they've returned home.

Please consider helping Team RWB.  Their goals and mission are worthy of our support.  In Team RWB's own words, this is what they seek to do:


While much has improved since the post-Vietnam era, some polarization between veterans and our society still exists today. Strong relationships between wounded veterans and their fellow Americans are critical to veterans’ reintegration into civilian life as well as our nation’s success. That’s why Team RWB’s mission is to enrich the lives of wounded veterans and their families. Team RWB works toward this mission by focusing on three key areas:
1. ENDURANCE EVENTS
Endurance events (e.g., half-marathons, marathons, ultra-marathons, triathlons or even hikes) allow the Team RWB community to come together and honor the commitment and dedication of our veterans – both in service and now during their struggle for reintegration. More specifically, these events help raise awareness and funding, and connect Team RWB members with other like-minded individuals to inspire our movement of personal appreciation and caring for war service veterans and their families. Team RWB sponsors its own events and organizes Team RWB participation in existing events throughout the country. However, our movement would not be possible through Team RWB-sponsored or organized events only. Athletes are encouraged to represent Team RWB in any event that is of interest to them and/or host their own events in support of Team RWB. Examples include 1 mile fun-runs or 5k races for family and friends, long-distance hikes or walks and community bike rides.
2. SOCIAL LEADERSHIP-BASED NETWORK
During a June 2010 study of Iraq and Afghanistan combat veterans, almost all veterans surveyed expressed interest in services to help adjust to civilian life. Additional research has shown that 90 percent of today’s war service veterans actively search for information and connections online. Team RWB will launch a social leadership-based network using social media and other interactive tools to meet both of these needs, achieving local impact on a national scale. Once complete, teamrwb.com will enable all interested team members to create relationships within and outside their local communities. This network/community will serve as the backbone for raising awareness and funds, and connecting wounded veteran families with athletes, advocates and others.
3. ONE-ON-ONE RELATIONSHIPS
Today’s veterans face many challenges to successful reintegration into society following their experiences in a combat zone. Short-term solutions can include medical prescription drugs or counseling; however, research has shown that veterans’ reintegration challenges can be compounded by feelings of isolation from no longer being part of a “unit” or team. Team RWB aims to combat these challenges by connecting veterans and their families with others (known as “advocates”) through meaningful, friendship-based relationships. Wounded veterans and advocates define the exact nature of their relationship, ensuring each relationship is mutually beneficial and unique. To better meet veterans’ needs, advocates will focus on the “everyday” – not the spectacular: being a friend, spending time together and performing small acts of kindness on a personal level.
Please consider helping Team RWB.  You can do so by becoming a Team RWB athlete yourself!  You can also sponsor my upcoming half marathon on November 27, 2010 in Schaumburg, Illinois by clicking here for the Team RWB website and making a tax deductible donation (please make note that it's "on behalf of Junaid" in the space provided).

Thanks for your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment