Thursday, October 21, 2010

WTF!??? I can't buy a suit off the rack now!

I'm grateful to be losing weight and getting into better shape.  I feel so much better and that's a blessing.  But it's not all good and happy times for me man!

My suits don't fit anymore!  It's to the point where they look like big cloth sacks!  The only clothes that still fit me are my shirts and t-shirts.  My suits, sport coats and pants all had to be given away to charity (we were going to send them to Sudan through my mother in law's friend but then we thought - the needy over there can't possibly be so huge as to need these clothes/tents).  And over the past 10 months I've had to put a new set of pants on two occasions (because I went down a few sizes and then down again some more).

Buying new pants is fine.  Buying new sport coats is okay.  But buying suits really sucks.

It sucks because, so far as I can tell, I can't buy regular suits off the rack.  I wear a 50R jacket and a 34 to 35 inch waist in my paints.  That's a 15 inch "drop" and most stores do a maximum of a 6 inch "drop" in their so-called "athletic build" suits.  Um, I'm going to need to do something about the remaining 9 inches!  This is, for me, a WTF!? moment.  The last time I struggled with this issue was over 20 years ago.

I looked into custom tailored suits.  Sticker shock!  Not happening!  The cheapest custom-tailored suit I found was about $750.  I don't make nearly enough money to afford clothing that costs that much!  I'm willing to drop $250 to $300 on a suit, and in the past I've been able to get very nice suits from Men's Warehouse for that price.

Oh well.  For now I'll have to make due with sport coats and slacks.  It'll be the college look - blue sport coat, khaki pants and a plaid tie!  How nice indeed!


No comments:

Post a Comment