Monday, November 15, 2010

A good running weekend...2.12 miler followed by a 12 miler

This is part of the course I'll be running for the 1/2
marathon on 11/27/10!

On Saturday (11/13) I ran 2.12 miles outside.  On Sunday (11/14) I ran 12 miles - 7.5 miles outside and the remaining miles on the treadmill.  It was a good weekend of running.

Saturday's run was the "race among friends" rematch.  I won the first race back in August in Tampa, FL.  My chief competition, S.T., clearly prepared for the rematch as she beat me very convincingly.  I came in second.

S.T. probably finished a solid 10 to 15 seconds ahead of me.  She was always within sight but I just didn't have the kick to try closing the gap in the home stretch.  Frankly, I was a bit worried about being overtaken in the final part of the race.  My wife came in 3rd (she came in 4th last time) and then my friend M.H. came in 4th (she came in 3rd last time).  The only constant was M.H.'s husband F.H. who came in last both times (although he wasn't very far behind this time around).

All the long distance running had no impact on this short distance race.  In hindsight, I should have training for this distance for a few weeks prior, and if I had done so, I may have been able to win this race.  The re-match will be in April 2010.  It will be a 5K.

On Sunday afternoon I went out (after the Bears vs. Vikings game ended) to run 12 miles.  By the 7.5 mile mark it was getting dark and I felt the rain starting.  I moved indoors and finished my run on the treadmill in the basement.  I felt the soreness in my knees afterwards.

Both days were cold.  Saturday's race was cool and rainy.  Sunday's run was cold and windy.  As of today (Monday) I think I have a little cold as a result of my time running outside!

Over the course of the next week (between now and Sunday) I hope to run at least 3 times and cover about 15 miles with one outing being at least 7.5 miles.  Then, in the following week I'll really taper it down so that I'm running a little bit everyday.

The Schaumburg Park District Turkey Trot 1/2 Marathon is on Saturday, November 27, 2010!

No comments:

Post a Comment