Friday, November 26, 2010

Two thanksgiving dinners, two workouts

My brother had us over for thanksgiving dinner #1
yesterday - really good eats...
Thanksgiving day was tough!  I attended 2 full, blow-out thanksgiving meals.  One was in the afternoon and the second was in the evening.  One was at my brother's house and the other was at my wife's aunt's house.  There was a lot of food at both places.  And it was good.

I ate the traditional thanksgiving spread at the first meal and enjoyed some ethnic cuisine - lamb biryani - in the evening (the evening meal featured the traditional thanksgiving items plus some Indo-Pak dishes as well).  I ate well.  On thanksgiving that means something a little different than on most other days.  Here you should read that as "I stuffed myself".  It wasn't easy and I didn't want to but I didn't want either of my hosts to feel bad (I'm just a real trooper in that regard).

I also didn't want to be saddled with a ton of guilt afterwards so I did what any reasonable person would do.  I worked out yesterday.  Twice.

In the morning - just as the first football game got underway (Pats vs. Lions) I took to my basement for workout #1.  I ran 2.25 miles - slow - on the treadmill and then did about 10 minutes on the stationary bike.  It worked up a sweat at least.

Workout #2 was in between meal #1 and meal #2.  We came home from my brother's house with about 2 hours to kill so I went down to the basement and ran 1 mile and then rode the stationary bike for 30 minutes.  This time I watched the Cowboys vs. Saints game (in part).

Neither workout was strenuous.  I know I didn't put a dent in the the extra calories I consumed yesterday.  But it felt good to exercise and as expected, I feel good about myself today!

Today I'm going to lift weights.  I'll do about 1 hour of exercise this afternoon.  I've got another family dinner at one of my cousin's tonight.  Again, a traditional thanksgiving spread.  I love my family too much to disappoint them so I'll force myself to partake of the feast.  Yup, I'm very generous that way!

I need to be home by about 9pm so I can wind down, get all of my stuff ready for tomorrow and get to bed at a reasonable time.  Tomorrow morning - Saturday, November 27, 2010 - is my first half marathon!

I'm excited and nervous!  But I should be able to plough through it, albeit at a very deliberate (read: slow) pace because tomorrow night is a dinner out with some of my cousins and my younger brother followed by cigars!


No comments:

Post a Comment