Friday, November 12, 2010

Good runs on Wednesday & Thursday - what's changed?

I've been off my game so to speak last week.  The last good runs I had coming up to this past Wednesday were my 11.20 mile run and the following Saturday's 7.5 mile run (both Saturday long runs).  All of last week my runs suffered from a lack of focus and my mental inability to deal with the cold weather (there may have been some soreness too but that would only account for a small part of why I didn't run well).

Thanks in large part to unseasonably warm temperature and a lack of precipitation, I've had a good week of running this week.  On Wednesday I went out in the evening and knocked out 5 miles and felt great afterwards.  Yesterday I ran 3 miles on the treadmill and rode the stationary bike for 20+ minutes, and again, I felt great afterwards.

I'm going to invest in a few more articles of cold weather gear so that I can get the training done for the upcoming 1/2 marathon (11/27/10) and then for the 1/2 marathon itself.  Heretofore the only thing I've added to my running equipment is a long sleeve mock turtleneck tech shirt from Under Armor (the cold weather kind).  I need a warm but thin jacket, some kind of sweat-wicking beanie or cap and maybe some long compression pants.

Tomorrow morning I've got the 2.12 mile race with my friends and my wife so I'm not going to run tonight.  I'll lift weights tonight and maybe ride the stationary bike a bit.

Because tomorrow I'll have a very short workout and also because last week's 12 mile was such a miserable experience, I'm going to try 12 miles again on Sunday.  I need to conquer this mileage milestone going into the 11/27 race.  I need to know that I've done it so that there is a psychological edge on race day.  I'll do the run in the afternoon after the Bears game.

Even after running 12 miles on Sunday I'll still have a solid 13 days to rest (relatively speaking).  I'll be able to run shorter distances with the comfort of knowing that I've already covered the long miles!

No comments:

Post a Comment